Out of the innumerable reasons Kolkata is famous for, food is one reason our city of joy is remembered for the most. We have had history of offering world class cuisines to people visiting our great city and the trend is still continuing. Be it Indian, Mexican, Moghlai or Chinese, we are at par with the world, if not better than them. However, Inspite of all the options available to us, we often run out of choices if we are to choose the best restaurants in city.
Have you had a situation wherein you are about to take your guest out for dinner but you can’t decide on the restaurant you are going to take him/her to? I guess it‘s a common case.
Today let’s just simplify things and try and give you an insight to some of the best restaurants to try out in Kolkata that does justice to your hunger and value for money.
- Aaheli- if you are a Bengali cuisine fan, you can’t ignore this food joint. Aaheli is situated in the hotel Peerless Inn, traditional Bengali delicatessen are served in charming, traditional style and mother like care to bring you the refreshing experience. Be it the variety of fish dishes or mutton curry, they are good at their work. What adds to their service is the ambience and the décor, just beautiful. If you wish to try out good traditional Bengali food, this is one place you can’t afford to miss for anything in life.
- Shiraj – the moment you talk of “Mughlai” food, shiraj is one place you can’t miss. Shiraj is situated in Central Kolkata, the restaurant is very famous for its Mughlai food, they serve the best and the most authentic Mughlai cuisine. Biriyani of this restaurant is to die for. It is oily, rich and spicy, perfect ingredients of a lavish lunch/dinner. Even the chicken rasala and korma are yummy. Adding wow factor to it is their “firni”. Super tasty. Must visit this place.
- Pan Asian – situated inside the ITC Hotel Sonar Bangla Sheraton Hotel, is known for its flavors of China and Japan. They offer high quality Chinese food along with a feel good factor thanks to their service and ambience. The range of cuisines is Rs.1000 for Vegetarian and Rs.1500 for Non Vegetarian. The food is of best quality and is served in a sophisticated style. The cuisines stretch from the Indonesia and Thailand to Malaysia and Korea.
- Mainland china – you talk of Chinese restaurant and the mention of Mainland china is imperative. It is a restaurant where you can taste a variety of Chinese food cooked by the well trained and experienced chefs. Mainland China is one of the few restaurants in Chennai that offer very authentic Chinese food (with an occasional Indian twist!). The restaurant has good ambience, friendly staff, good location and above all tasty food. Their noodles, rice and soups are very tasty. Fish preparations are awesome and their traditional way of cooking brings in a real good taste to the palette
- Red Hot Chili Pepper– Red Hot Chilly Pepper restaurant is situated in South Kolkata, it is a Chinese restaurant serve hot and spicy food. Be it their crispy chicken or chilly garlic chicken, you can help but smile with a yummy feel to your appetite. Average meal for two: 800 Rs. And ambience is quite pleasant.
- Honey Da Dhaba — Honey Da Dhaba is situated opposite to E.S.I Hospital, they serve both vegetarian and non vegetarian Punjabi food with music and outdoor catering. They have crossed the test of time by delivering good quality Punjabi food. Their re designed ambience adds glory to their success and the treatment given to customers make it all the more special. With an average of Rs 500 for two, what better can you ask for? Highly recommended.
- Trincas — Located below Park Hotel, this is a landmark in food and entertainment. Trincas serves excellent Tandoori, Indian, Chinese, limited Thai and continental food. This multi cuisine restaurant offers incredible value & quality. If you have a moderate budget but wish to get the feel of an expensive restaurant, this can be an option to try out for. It is still a hot favorite with the foreigners. Some how they get attracted to the feel of the restaurant.
- Amber – located in Central Kolkata, Esplanade, serves Tandoori, Mughlai, Continental and North Indian cuisines. The Mughlai and Indian food is simply amazing, and is famous for paneer and dal. The continental fare is excellent too. Probably amongst the top 3 Indian restaurants in the city.
- Peshawari – Peshawari is situated inside the ITC Hotel Sonar Bangla Sheraton & Towers, they serve acclaimed cuisine from the rugged North West frontier. It’s almost a complete replica of the Bukhara in Delhi but with better service. The staff is more polite and helpful, and the atmosphere a lot more relaxed than the one you find at Bukhara. One flip side, it is unpopular for its limited choice and price range. However a place you can try out simply on basis of popularity.
- Peter cat – one of my personal favorites, this all in one restaurant beat others in terms of variety, price and popularity. Very often do we come across food joints with a houseful tag, even on week days. Peter cat is one such lovely restaurant. This is one iconic restaurant people are never tired of. The decor is a bit “dim” and drab but the service is fine. The food options are good too. The Chello kabab is their signature dish and is well made in a bland Iranian way with lots of butter. They also offer other continental dishes and steaks and the ubiquitous Chinese. All in all, good place to eat and worth a visit. If nothing else, it brings in boast value back home!
- Grain of salt — India’s largest varied cuisine restaurant covering 25000 sqft with bar, banqueting & allied services. It has a 150-seater a/c banquet plus an open-air banquet facility with a capacity of 500 for parties over looking Camac Street. An interactive kitchen, buffet luncheons & a-la-carte dining are an integral part of the restaurant. Very popular for its occupancy and excellent service. A bit on the higher side in terms of price but worth it.
- Oasis – is known for delicious Indian, Tandoori, Chinese, Continental & Sizzlers. Fish and chips, club sandwiches, cutlets are also very popular. With an average price of Rs 800 for two, this is a joint couples can aim for this Valentines Day. It is located at Park Street so commuting is also hassle free. Recommended.
- Marco Polo — This restaurant serves a variety of Indian, Mediterranean and Continental cuisines, Braised Lamb Rack and Chicken Stick are the specialties of this restaurant. The menu is expansive but has a wide range of Indian, Chinese and Continental meals. The service is very friendly and attentive. Quantity of food is good with great value for money. However, their fish preparation is often criticized so do double check before ordering one.
There are millions of other great food joints available in Kolkata, likes of which have not featured in the list. Kolkata is one place where choice of food is endless.
So what are you waiting for? Take a list of the above choices and rush to your selected venue. Food is what generates happy hormone so fill you stomach with delicious and sumptuous meal.
Next time you are in a dilemma to choose a restaurant, you have your food guide to refer to. Am I invited too? [Article View] : 2472