All of us in this world are aware of the fact that “Walking” is by the far the most beneficial and safest form of exercise whose benefit is varied across all age group. Even for those who are not comfortable with the idea of joining a gym, they can cure many diseases, simply by walking for few minutes a day. . However following are some of the major benefits of walking which can cure almost all major diseases.
- Weight loss- Walking is the most effective way of weight loss. Daily walking will burn your calories and will make you fitter and mentally stronger. Gradually as you burn your calories, your stamina will increase and will lead to a healthy living.
- Anti ageing- If you are worried about you growing age then walking can be quite an effective tool to slower down the ageing process. Walking gives you great cardiovascular exercise, gets your heart rate up, reduces cholesterol, builds muscle and burns fat. You feel better and you‘re happier. Add those all up and you’re enjoying natural anti aging and slowing the aging process.
- Controlling of Blood pressure- As per recent surveys, it has been proved that walking is the most effective tool of controlling high blood pressure. Not only does it control BP, it also reduces weight by constant sweat which is important for people who are over weight. A leaner body good for people suffering from blood pressure issues.
- Reduces the Risk of Breast Cancer- Most of you will be surprise to know that “walking” is an aid to control an alarming disease like Breast Cancer. Women walking for mere 75-150 minutes of walking per week have 18 % lesser chance of suffering from breast cancer compare to those who are not into the habit of walking. The more you walk, chances of suffering from cancer is less so walking is strictly advisable.
- Prevents Diabetes- The Diabetes Prevention* program showed that walking 150 minutes per week and losing just 7% of you body weight can reduce a risk of diabetes by 58%. It is a myth that one has to run to control diabetes. Truth is that few minutes of brisk walk is good enough to cure the disease.
- Controls Heart Attack- As you walk more, you star feeling fitter and stronger and this improves your cardiovascular function and reduces the possibility of a heart attack. If you are a female who is into walking activity for 3 hours per week, you reduce your risk of a heart attack by 35 % compared to a woman who does not walk at all. If you are a retired male walking less than a mile a day, your risk of heart attack is nearly twice that of someone who is walking two miles per day.
- Good for Bones – Research shows that postmenopausal women who walk approximately one mile a day have higher whole-body bone density than women walking shorter distances. It also shows that walking is effective in slowing the rate of bone loss from the legs.
- Other benefits. Among many other important benefits, walking lowers stress level, improves sleep, reduces depression, improves back pain, strengthens muscles and bones, and lengthens life span.
Points to remember:
- Walk at a speed that you develop a mild sweat after 15-20 minutes. The speed should be such that you should be able to talk while walking and not gasp.
- Ensure you are properly attired for your walk. A good fitting pair of sports shoes with a cushioned heel and supporting arch is a must.
- Distance over speed should be the choice.
- Warm up slowly, if you start off briskly you will only burn out some sugar (not fat) and also get winded out.
- As part of your walk plan, select a gradient for a portion of the walk or climb a few stairs if possible. (In case of a heart problem, a gradient and stairs is not recommended.)
- If you have a serious medical ailment or you are over 50 years of age, check with your doctor as to what would be the best level of walking for you.
Health is truly wealth and it’s about time we realize this fact and take effort to protect our mind and body. Walking is your first step towards healthy living. Do initiate! [Article View] : 3655