Spirulina- Scientists have refer as a solution to solution to the world’s hunger problem, NASA considers it an excellent, compact space food for astronauts and WHO has named it as the greatest super food available on earth. A tiny water plant holds the promise of bringing about a sea change in your health yet we are not yet fully aware of the merits of Spirulina. This article makes a humble effort to give you an overview of this highly beneficial super food call “Spirulina”.
Spirulina is a blue green alga present in ponds. It is the microscopic organism which is the most useful and healthy nutrition present in the nature. Due to inadequate diet when our body starts reacting, doctors and the physicians recommend us to take such natural and organic food supplements. Spirulina is especially rich in vitamin E, vitamin C, beta carotene and B complex, including B-12. It is also rich in essential fatty acids, and minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium and zinc.
In today’s time, all of us are highly dependent on food supplements because of our diet plan and the unhealthy food availability. In order to cure the damage caused by such unhealthy food, Spirulina is advised by doctors as it has more beta carotene (anticancer and anti aging vitamin) than any other food, ounce-for-ounce. Experts say 1 kg of Spirulina is equivalent of 1,000 kg of assorted vegetables. It is because of these benefits women in stages of pregnancy prefer Spirulina over general medicines. Liver problem a common disease now days, can be cured with intake of Spirulina.
It is also the world’s most digestible natural source of high quality protein, far surpassing the protein bioavailability of beef.
The Health benefits of Spirulina, Which are not discussed commonly:
- It enhances your Immunesystem. That is because it is rich in an enzyme naturally produced in the human body known as arytenoids. This enzyme has high amounts of anti oxidants. The toxins that enter our body through food, water and air have oxidants that damage our body cells. Such powders repair the damaged cells and hence add to your immunity power.
- It works as a tool to Improve our skin as it is rich in anti oxidants which is good for skin and works as an anti aging tool. It also contains vitamin E which keeps the skin healthy.
- Provides iron for womenandchildren‘shealth. Iron is essential to build a strong body, yet is the most deficient mineral found in many people. Spirulina is a great source of iron, magnesium and trace minerals, and is easier to absorb than traditional iron supplements.
- Spirulina has been used in the treatment of diabetes, anemia, liver disease, ulcers, allergies, radiation poisoning, chemical poisoning and senility. For those with hypoglycemia, it helps to stabilize blood sugar levels.
- It is beneficial to people who cleanse or fast regularly. Because it supplies nutrients which help the body to cleanse and heal while at the same time curbing the appetite. The amino acid structure of Spirulina may influence neurotransmitters in the brain, in particular those which control appetite, ambition and mood.
- Spirulina is easily digested and is loaded with heavy antioxidants. It contains bets carotene, which is very good for vision and healthy eyes.
- Spirulina can increase stamina as needed by the athletes, and the high protein content and nutritional value can make the muscular mass stronger. On the other hand, it may control hunger during the training routines of athletes or under other circumstances; thus, it acts as an active supplement to maintain the weight of the athletes.
- It provides protection from oxidant stress. It mostly works with user’s brain and heart and ensures that the user will have healthy and stress free life.
Does Spirulina have any side effect?
Every medicine or a food would have some side effects and Spirulina is not an exception.
One of the most common side effects of Spirulina is that it causes fever due to high amount of proteins in it. Beside fever, some other symptoms may comprise insomnia or an enormous feeling of exhilaration. Other side effects of Spirulina may also include stomach disorders, hiccups, gas, diarrhea, constipation and many others. The symptoms usually occur in the persons who have gas issues or any gastric problems some other side effects may include nausea, feeling tired or week, and feeling very sleepy. Hence it is advisable to consult a doctor and consume Spirulina in correct proportion, as per prescription.
Spirulina has slowly been gaining in visibility in India and is marketed under the brand names Natoxid, Multinals, and Progen, and is available in powder, flakes or tablet form. A bottle of 60 capsules costs about Rs 95. This is a good sign for over all health of people. However it is important for us to spread the awareness so that more number of people indulges in healthy food habits and the ratio of disease and illness takes a downward turn.
Image credit: Adapted from sweetonveg from Flickr [Article View] : 5095