Is it this year also that you have taken the resolution to quit smoking? But you must be wondering that like other years as well this year would be a failed attempt to get rid of your that ever-tempting addiction. But perhaps it is not such a difficult task and who knows if you follow these simple tips you might actually be able to quit this God forsaken addiction after all.
- BELIEVE!! - Have the self-belief that you can do it – yes quit smoking finally. You have done far more difficult things in life so to quit smoking would be like a piece of cake for you.
- Ask yourself the reason why you want to quit smoking. Each time you feel tempted remind yourself of the reason you want to quit.
- Write down on a piece of paper the ill-effects of smoking and read it daily. Make sure the writing is in bold. If you have any doubts in your mind, watch this devastating video
- Prepare yourself for the temptation to smoke again. The American Cancer Society has prescribed a 4-way path to get rid of smoking – delaying, deep breathing, drinking water and preoccupying yourself with some other activity.
- Consciously practise substituting good with bad – One of the best strategies to change any habit is – not by negating it, but by replacing it with a positive one. So each time you feel the urge to smoke, breathe deeply several times with the mental picture and belief that you are taking in fresh oxygen loaded air instead of foul cigarette smoke.
- Start exercising. It will help you to get rid of the pent-up frustration that might be built immediately after you have quit smoking.
- Each time you are tempted for a smoke, gulp down a sip of water. This way you will be twice as healthier – first because you are not smoking and second because you are drinking water, which is good for the system.
- If the temptation is too much hold something in your mouth and hand instead of cigarettes. You can even go for artificial cigarettes called E-Z Quit
- Tell your closest friends and family that you have been planning to quit smoking and so they should bear with you if you are in one of your foul moods.
- Try rewarding yourself for the achievement that you have finally quit smoking. Celebrate a week, a month and then a year in your journey of becoming a complete non-smoker. Treat yourself to a sumptuous meal at a fancy restaurant and sit in the non-smoking section and try to feel how good it feels to finally quit smoking.
[Article View] : 7645