It is a common phenomenon to suddenly grow weak in the knees or lose your voice in crucial moments of our lives. Be it a job interview, first date, college viva or meeting with your would-be in-laws, making the first impression is always crucial for all of us. Many of us are extremely shy in making a public appearance and have serious issues how to overcome the initial hiccups of meeting people. There is an often quoted saying, ‘the first impression is the last impression’. Well, always not necessarily true, but first impression is indeed crucial for most of our meetings and interviews. Read to know how to make that very stunning first impression.
- Dress right: It is very important to know in what dress you are comfortable and can carry yourself best. Don’t get hyper if you know you might not look that stunning in that tight short skirt (or the latest body fit shirt) when you know you can look much smarter in a comparatively looser trouser. The person who would be meeting you would want to know you rather than a mannequin in a cloth store. Relax and be yourself and trust yourself that you can make the best first impression possible.
- Proper posture: Body language is extremely important in an interview and goes a long way in making that first impression. Crossing of arms sends out a wrong signal that you are closed to receiving ideas from the other person talking to you. Your shoulders should be relaxed and your hands either on your sides or placed one over the other in front of you. Your posture should be erect. This sends out the message that you are willing to accept the other person’s opinion and quite open about the issues of life.
- Genuine smile: These days’ people tend to point out the fake from the real. If you are not genuine enough in your emotions and give a fake appearance of being pleased, people will know your intention and would not be extremely pleased about it. So it is best to be interested in the conversation and try and make it as jovial as possible. Make it interesting, generate laughter if possible. The other person will surely get a fantastic impression about you.
- Eye contact: Eye contact is extremely crucial in making the correct first impression. Look directly into the eyes of the person you are talking to. Do not make the mistake of looking away while talking. This will carry forward the impression that you are not interested in the conversation and your mind is diverted somewhere. Be confident and look into the person’s eyes while talking. The other person will certainly get the right message.
- Get involved: It is very important to show your personal involvement in the conversation. Try and show that you are very interested in the person and keep asking questions so that your involvement in the conversation is evident. This will make the situation light and you will get a friendly footing with the person and certainly create a genuinely good impression.
- Right shoes: Many people make the mistake of ignoring the footwear while dressing up. But they have no idea how far the correct shoes can take a person when making the first impression. Take the trouble of choosing the right pair of shoes that fits you well as well as matches with your dress. They will make you look confident, smart, classy and sophisticated and certainly make a dashing first impression.
- Polite and confident: When you are out to make an impression remember not to be too loud or impolite. Loud and obnoxious people are always avoided because they are very obvious in imposing themselves on others, which is never appreciated. So, it is best to be polite yet express yourself confidently.
It can never happen that first impression will last forever. Human relations are very complicated and they tend to change and take different colours with time. However, if you follow the tips you can create a lasting first impression on others and that will hold you in good stead for your life.