In the history of IPL if there is one team that has emerged as the most popular and loved franchise, it has to be Kolkata Knight Rider which has always enjoyed maximum limelight for varied reasons from Shah Rukh Khan’s popularity to the undying love of the people of Kolkata. The team has gone through unimaginable high and lows, specially lows from season 1 to season 5. From loosing most number of matches to the sacking of Sourav Ganguly from captaincy, this SRK owned team has been amidst all controversies and crisis and has come a long way since then. But, as they say, fortune favors the brave; KKR in this season of IPL has come up as one of the strongest teams in the league and could even end up winning the championship hands down. This wasn’t easy, everyone had given up on the team and credibility of SRK’s decision to remove Dada from captaincy was heavily criticized. The owner and the management did not loose hope; instead they restructured the team in a big way and came back with a vengeance in Season 5. Can KKR win the championship? Your guess is as good as mine but this year is the most crucial year for the fate of KKR for reasons assessed below.
Lets us look at some of reasons why it is Now or Never for KKR:
- The team is playing their best in this season. They stand number 2 in the points table and this is no joke. In the past four seasons of IPL, never have we played so well. From the captain to other players, barring Yusuf Pathan, every one has contributed to the success off the team and it show in the points table. Loosing from this stage is possible, but will be most unfortunate.
- SRK’s brand value is at stake. His movies have not been able to generate much hysteria as it was expected to hence winning the IPL trophy will bring him back to the mass limelight, especially in Kolkata.
- On paper KKR is the strongest team. From Gambhir, Kallis, Pathan, to Brett Lee, this is one super t20 side that can give other teams a run for their money. T20 is a batting game and here is one side which is full of class batsmen so on a given day it can destroy any opponent on the field.
- Be it coincidence or luck, stronger teams like Chennai or Mumbai have not played to their potential in this years IPL. On the other hand KKR players have outdone themselves and this gives a very strong confidence to the side. If KKR fails to capitalize on this, such opportunity might not come up again in near future.
- Post Sourav’s exit from KKR, the popularity of the team is divided. While some are supporting Pune, others are still loyal to Kolkata. If they win this year the team will be able to regain their lost loyal fans and SRK and Gambhir will take a sigh of relief. After nothing is sweater than success so this is the only way they can climb up the popularity chart of Kolkata people. Though the support for KKR is still huge, even without Dada.
- SRK is the brand ambassador of Bengal. If his team wins this will give his campaign a huge impetus to reach a large number of people. On the other hand if KKR fails to win the cup, SRK’s campaign will get affected to some extent, if not much.
- KKR is one team that has got maximum brands tie up for all season of IPL and it is possible only for SRK’s brand name. But if the team continues to lose every season, SRK might have a tough time bringing in sponsors like Nokia or any other companies. The team has so far played great cricket, now they have to take it to the final lap, which is victory.
- Last but not the least; the players should win the cup for the owner Shah Rukh Khan who has been spot on as team’s support staff. From buying the most expensive players to giving each one of them a personalized 5 star treatment in form of parties and gifts, he has done everything for the team. The man has shown lot of patience and faith in the team and now its pay back time for the players. They have to win the cup for their owner Shah Rukh Khan. They have the stage set for them; they are in a great position, now they can’t lose it from here. It’s now or never.
Do you think Kolkata will make it to the finals?Share your views.
[Article View] : 1568