Having nightmares that someone has hacked your account or having access to your personal information?
Well you never want that to happen in your wildest dreams. So, why not prevent it just by undertaking certain precautions. Not everyone has a laptop or a desktop but that does not mean that they do not require it. Thus, there comes a time when one has to get access through public computers. Public computers at cyber cafes, libraries, airports, and rest houses can prove to be helpful if you ensure certain safety measures.
Read on to know the basic precautions you can take while using public computers.
- Don’t ever save your login information in any public computer. Always logout after you are done with your work. Just closing the browser will not do instead you should logout manually. Anyone can easily access your account in case the information has not been erased. Wait until the homepage appears without your username or any such related information.
- Disable the automatic login features. If you are asked regarding ‘Remember password’ anywhere, just make sure that it is not enabled after logging out. Don’t mark it and if in case it is already marked while you are logging in, just mark it. Always remember that the computer will be used by someone else later, keeping this in mind carry on with your work.
- Make sure that you do not leave your computer unattended while your work is still going on displaying certain sensitive information on the screen. Walk away only after you have wrapped up all your work. Ensure safety even if you have to leave your computer for a moment.
- Don’t ever shop online or do Internet banking using public computers. Never use public computers for personal purposes however urgent it might be. It is advisable not to enter any sort of personal information i.e. credit card number, PIN number, your name or address or any such thing that might lead you to problem later on.
- Always erase your tracks after accessing public computers. It is always recommended to delete history and leave without a trace. Erase your temporary Internet files and all that you have accessed so that there would not be any chance of getting them hacked. Moreover, when you delete files or history from the computer, it gets stored in Recycle Bin; make sure you empty the Recycle Bin too.
- Always be alert while using public computers as well as using your own device in public. Be attentive and look around well, you might find someone intently watching you since long. Watching every action of yours over internet and might even be noting down few important private information like your password or bank account number.
- Do not save files on a public computer. If you want to download email attachment or other files from websites then carry a pen drive or disk and save those stuffs in them. Use anti-virus software. Images, documents or any such information should not be downloaded or saved on public computers.
- It is always risky to use public computers. You have no idea whether they are properly configured for security or not. They might be infected. If in case any installed software records everything being done in the computer then erasing the tracks will not help, as the hacker will have easy access through your personal information.
These are a few basic tips that would help you in staying safe while accessing public computers. Avoid using public computers on a regular basis; it might increase the chance of theft. Use them only in case of emergencies. Ensure safety in order to avoid any mess later on. Staying secure will not cause any harm to anyone.
[Article View] : 1123