“The internet is a great boon to small business productivity efforts, but it is also a distraction. The internet leaks as much of our time, if not more, than television”– John Reeve. Wasting time at work seems to continue to be a huge problem for companies all over the world. Any time spent on less important activities is a step backward, especially when time-sensitive priority tasks and goals are concerned. We smartly reap some value from the internet, but for the most part, we just waste our time. We may not realize it, but time spent using the internet is usually just wasted, making us unproductive and resulting in delayed output or nothing done at all.
- People worldwide start off their day by checking their e-mails and reading updates on social networking sites. It is recommended that you make a list of must-visit websites of everyday and do not get de-focused from work by getting distracted.
- You must time your work. An online timer would be great. You would be able to control your time on the internet. If you find yourself spending a lot of time surfing internet then make sure to set a timer and make sure to walk away when the timer goes off. Since lot of people find it difficult to focus on work for the initial 40-50mins, so you can set a timer accordingly.
- Maintaining a to-do list would also prove to be helpful. You must write down everything you need to achieve in any given day. Ideally 10minutes is all one need to create a short list of tasks. Generate a daily schedule and prioritize your activities in the order of importance. Once you see what needs to be done on paper, it’s actually easier to keep your mind on track.
- Stop random email checks. It is a huge time waster. All this pointless checking wastes time. Each day you should schedule specific time for checking email. Just because you have a computer available for you throughout the day doesn’t mean you should be checking it every hour. By sticking to a reasonable schedule, you can eliminate a ton of wasted time.
- One third of the employees spend their work time for non-work related activities because they do not have enough work to do. An ideal solution for this issue could be to fill the wasted time with developmental progress and resources. More tasks should be allotted to the employees. Internet misuse by staff is a big problem for many businesses as it leads to loss of productivity, slower broadband speeds and higher risks of infection.
- Time your breaks. Short breaks are required throughout the day. At least every three hours you should take a break. Set the online timer for 15-20minutes and allow yourself leisure time online without guilt.
- Your home page should be very calm, peaceful and motivating. It should not be your email homepage. It should be some inspirational quote or a list of goals which will help you focus on things that are important to you every time you access the internet. Well since you see this quote every time you open up your browser, this will help you to stay focused and will create a zeal in you to accomplish your goals instead of wasting your precious time on internet.
- Avoid following links in the emails you read unless they are very important. It is quite easy to lose an hour looking at the latest fashion trends or running deals and offers on a website of a department store or dreaming about your next vacation on a travel website. If these planning are not on your agenda for the day, do not waste your time pondering over them.
- Close your email clients to avoid the temptation to check-in.
- Limit access to one day a week. One day when you can access everything you want guilt free. Its hard to limit internet only for productive purposes. You just have to keep with it. Whenever you feel tempted, pause, and then refocus on your important activity.
The internet which is sometimes brilliant, often vapid and nearly always a massive time stuck. It’s easy to get caught up in the wide expanse of the web, look at the clock and be astonished and embarrassed that hours have flown by. And even in smaller chunks, the wasted time quickly adds up. If you are using internet just to keep yourself updated with the latest news on social networking sites then you are just wasting your time and should rethink your daily activities. We should stop wasting our time looking at other people’s lives unfolding, but do start to make a name for our self.
[Article View] : 1609