So I guess you have grabbed your copy of Windows 8 from Microsoft. If you haven’t, then click here to get your copy now. So this article is for you if you want to upgrade your PC to Windows 8 (and not do a clean install). Well I would be also covering article on how to clean install Windows 8 on your machine, but today let me share you the process to upgrade it to Windows 8. Remember if you are using Windows 7, the best option is to Upgrade instead of clean install, because upgrading will preserve softwares already installed in your machine. But if you are using Windows XP or Windows Vista all your data will be preserved but you won’t be able to access installed programs.
After downloading the Windows 8 file from the above link, burn it on DVD with DVD burning software. You don’t need to make a bootable disk, as the image itself is in bootable format. Before running the upgrade take a proper backup for all your files especially of folders like Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, Downloads and Desktop. Though all files will be safe, but it’s always better to take a backup.
Let’s begin the steps:
- Insert Windows 8 DVD in your machine and when the “autoplay” box appears, click on Setup.exe. Windows 8 Customer Preview setup will prepare itself for upgrade.
- The installer will suggest you to get the updates. Click on “NO Thanks” as there isn’t any update available now and Click on “Next”.
- Now you need to enter product key for your Windows 8. Use this key : DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J
- Time to accept License. So Click on “I accept” on the License Terms page.
- Now this is the time when you select Upgrading option. If you want clean install, you can select “Nothing” or else put a check mark on “Windows settings, personal files and apps” and Click on “Next”.
- Now Windows 8 will check and give you the list of the apps that you need to uninstall before upgrade. I got Kaspersky as the suggestion to uninstall. So remember, if you have Kaspersky installed, it’s better if you remove it before starting this process.
- Now Windows 8 is ready to install. Click on “Install” for the setup to begin.
- Now Windows 8 will start installing and your pc will restart few times.
- Once done, you need to set it up for the first time.
Things to do while setting up Windows 8 for first use:
- Select background color.
- Setup Wireless connection if available.
- Settings for apps, updates, etc. So click on Customize to select each one or click Use Express Settings to select recommended settings.
- If you select Customize, then you get to select these settings individually.
- It will ask you to create /sign-in to your windows account. You can skip this and do it later on.
If you face any issue in the installation process please write in the comments below. [Article View] : 1810